Re: gcc 2.95.1 for windows NT

On Sun, 12 Dec 1999 N8TM@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/12/1999 4:42:49 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at writes:
>
> > > As the "installation-specific" instructions seem too voluminous to be
> >  > included in those for supported versions, I've put up my suggestions
> >  > at http://members.aol.com/n8tm/cygwingccg77.htm
> >
> >  Perhaps there are some issues that you would like to break out and submit
> >  for our specific.html page?
> >
> >  Gerald
> It's a moving target.  I saw last night that Mumit Khan is working on solving
> the W9x problem of failing to read include files which are on duplicate
> inodes.  I'd have difficulty myself knowing which parts are stable and
> concise enough, and have enough value on their own.

Actually all but 2 of the patches, noted in my "Quicky Summary" message,
have been in use by all the win32 users who download my binaries for
quite a while. Those who build from source tend to use my patches as well,
so I haven't heard about too many problems, other than those that result
from not following directions. As for the submission, I either hadn't
had the time to submit these, or in some cases, just plain forgot to do
so, but better late than never.

I have no trouble building either gcc-2.95.x or gcc-2.96 on Cygwin
platform, and I believe that my HOWTO that I had posted to Cygwin list
should work for others. I know that some folks have had trouble with
makeinfo and such, but I don't see those (timestamp problem??).

The only tricky part is to get configure to find the right assembler
so that GAS_* values are defined correctly. You can do that by:

  <srcdir>/configure --with-as=/bin/as [ ... ]

No thanks to Cygwin's weird directory layout.

Regards,
Mumit