This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] manage dom-walk_data initialization and finalization with constructors and destructors
- From: Richard Sandiford <rdsandiford at googlemail dot com>
- To: Michael Matz <matz at suse dot de>
- Cc: Jeff Law <law at redhat dot com>, Trevor Saunders <tsaunders at mozilla dot com>, Richard Biener <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>, GCC Patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 19:11:23 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] manage dom-walk_data initialization and finalization with constructors and destructors
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1378264562-30803-1-git-send-email-tsaunders at mozilla dot com> <CAFiYyc2WMqt7b=riv_3+LUDQ=+OjycgEqK+L8afjPcaVzU9Wag at mail dot gmail dot com> <20130904145911 dot GC17620 at tsaunders-iceball dot corp dot tor1 dot mozilla dot com> <522759C8 dot 5040802 at redhat dot com> <20130911000350 dot GA28492 at tsaunders-iceball dot corp dot tor1 dot mozilla dot com> <52389CB1 dot 60504 at redhat dot com> <5239126A dot 6010702 at redhat dot com> <alpine dot LNX dot 2 dot 00 dot 1309181640400 dot 9949 at wotan dot suse dot de> <5239D985 dot 4080205 at redhat dot com> <alpine dot LNX dot 2 dot 00 dot 1309181849550 dot 9949 at wotan dot suse dot de>
Michael Matz <email@example.com> writes:
> What's the benefit of reading and writing such noisy lines? :
> *out_mode = mode_;
> mode_ = GET_MODE_WIDER_MODE (mode_);
> The uglification merely makes code harder to write and read, it should be
> used in cases where you _don't_ want developers to write such names.
Heh. Since it's my code being used as the example here: I also find it
very ugly FWIW. I only added the underscores because that's what the
But we're never going to get consensus on this kind of thing. E.g. I
know some people really hate the GNU formatting style (although I very
much like it). So I just held my nose while writing the patch.