This is the mail archive of the
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Why -mxgot on MIPS and not -fpic/-fPIC?
* Maciej W. Rozycki:
>> Or group multiple related variables in a struct. There are likely
>> quite a few ways GHC could generate code leading to improved
>> relocations because the DSOs it builds do not have a stable ABI
>> anyway. But I bet it's not on the GHC developers' radar screen today
>> because other platforms have less stringent limits (but would benefit
>> from the RSS reduction as well).
>
> I take it they don't support multi-GOT then, right?
GHC is used in a mode which generates C code, which is then compiled
using GCC. (This is why Debian could apply the -mxgot workaround so
quicky.)
>> You'll see that in Fedora eventually. My question was prompted by a
>> Debian build failure without -mxgot.
>
> So what did fail to build then? That's ultimately what the question I
> asked boils down to.
This is the Debian bug report about the build failure:
<https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=832824>