This is the mail archive of the
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
RE: building cross-compiler for m68hc11/m68hc12
Thank you for your reply.
I am already aware of the FAQ section dedicated to this issue, that is why I tried to minimise problems with GMP / MPFR / MPC by letting GCC build them.
I tried running the command myself, and it seems there is no conftest.c file (didn't make clean or anything like that). I even searched the whole / to no avail.
I also looked inside gcc/as and indeed there is no "ORIGINAL_AS_FOR_TARGET" (empty string). Do I have to build binutils beforehand and configure --with-as and --with-ld (or with --build-time-tools)?
The "Building GCC guide" states that one of the steps the make command performs is: "Build target tools for use by the compiler such as binutils (bfd, binutils, gas, gprof, ld, and opcodes) if they have been individually linked or moved into the top level GCC source tree before configuring."
That is why I thought I could get away with just putting the binutils source code inside the gcc-4.3.2 directory and letting GCC build the whole lot, thus minimising the things that can go wrong.
________________________________________
From: Ian Lance Taylor [iant@google.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:20 PM
To: Mihai Daniel OPREA
Cc: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: building cross-compiler for m68hc11/m68hc12
Mihai Daniel OPREA <mihai.oprea@cti.pub.ro> writes:
> Building the compiler with make fails with the infamous error:
> "configure: error: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot compile"
> while in directory hcs12x/m68hc11/libgcc
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/FAQ#Configuration_fails_with_.27.27configure:_error:_cannot_compute_suffix_of_object_files:_cannot_compile.27.27._What_is_the_problem.3F
> configure:2567: checking for suffix of object files
> configure:2588: /home/mihai/licenta/hcs12x/./gcc/xgcc -B/home/mihai/licenta/hcs12x/./gcc/ -B/home/mihai/licenta/m68hc11/bin/ -B/home/mihai/licenta/m68hc11/lib/ -isystem /home/mihai/licenta/m68hc11/include -isystem /home/mihai/licenta/m68hc11/sys-include -c -O2 -g -g -O2 conftest.c >&5
> exec: 79: : Permission denied
Try running this exact command yourself. Presumably you will see the
same error. Figure out why.
Here is my guess. Look at the file gcc/as. Look at the value for
ORIGINAL_AS_FOR_TARGET near the start of the file. I bet it is the
empty string. That suggests that you don't have an cross-assembler for
your target. You need to make and install the cross-binutils before you
configure gcc.
Ian