This is the mail archive of the
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Unable to link to library version of my choice
- From: Marc Glisse <marc dot glisse at inria dot fr>
- To: Marco Ricci <marcoricci2012 at yahoo dot com>
- Cc: gcc-help at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 09:05:04 +0100 (CET)
- Subject: Re: Unable to link to library version of my choice
- References: <1330494435.13438.YahooMailClassic@web122402.mail.ne1.yahoo.com>
- Reply-to: gcc-help at gcc dot gnu dot org
On Tue, 28 Feb 2012, Marco Ricci wrote:
I built gtk locally on my computer and the build went fine, but when I
wrote a small test program and tried to link it to the library that I
built, it compiled fine, but behind the scenes, it actually linked to
the file in /usr/lib.
I guess you checked that with ldd on your program, not strace on the
build?
I've tried everything, -L option, compiling with the full path of the library file and even googling for the answer. I see that others have had the same problem but there are no satisfactory responses. I tried -nostdlib option with gcc but then it started complaining about other libraries.
There are 2 operations called linking. One is when you create the binary
file. Another one is when you run it. -L tells where to look for libraries
during the first one. -rpath (it is a linker option, so you want -Wl, in
front) tells where to look during the second one.
--
Marc Glisse