This is the mail archive of the
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
-mbionic in gcc 4.6.1
- From: Michael Zintakis <michael dot zintakis at googlemail dot com>
- To: gcc-help at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 14:01:14 +0000
- Subject: -mbionic in gcc 4.6.1
- Authentication-results: mr.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of michael.zintakis@googlemail.com designates 10.14.37.7 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=michael.zintakis@googlemail.com; dkim=pass header.i=michael.zintakis@googlemail.com
I have just discovered this option in gcc 4.6.1 and wanted to clarify
the purpose of it.
I tried to create a "hello world" in this way, but when I use this
option during linking, it seems to create a dependency on the main
android libc library (usually residing in /system/bin), which is fine,
but the linker still seems to keep the "normal" libc and libgcc
dependencies as well.
I guess what I was hoping to see is that gcc uses bionic and the entire
chain of android libc tool libraries, but I suspect that is a wishful
thinking on my part. Is there a way of deploying gcc in such a way,
without going the full monty with deploying the android sdk/ndk?
I was able to avoid these sort of issues up until now, by producing
statically-linked executables from a "normal" Linux environment (using
gcc and compile/build for the appropriate arm arch), and then just copy
these to my 'droid device - I have encountered no issues so far by doing
that, but this route is not always possible as some packages are not
easy to compile statically.