This is the mail archive of the gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: FW: gcc43ecj question


On 02/13/2012 03:04 AM, Me Myself and I wrote:
> 
> When I use GCJ to compile a Hello world program,
> 
> I notice that it generates a whopping 37 MB file.
> 
> 
> 
> -Does this file include some runtime environment stuff?  When I run
> this program,
> 
> does that program execute within it's own runtime environment?

Yes.

> -Is this 37 MB file platform independent, or not?  Will it run on
> Linux and Mac as is (It already runs on Windows).

No, it's Windows only.

> -What exactly is the GCJ putting inside this file?
> How is it possible to cut down the size of this file and still
> have a running binary program, if that is possible?

Not much.  The problem is that we have never managed to dynamically
link gcj programs on windows, so your program links with the entire
runtime library.

Andrew.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]