This is the mail archive of the gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: GCC 4.6 not building crti.o and crtn.o in cross-compiler


> For most targets crti.o and crtn.o are built by the C library, not by
> gcc.  sparc-elf was one of the unusual exceptions.  Support for building
> them as part of gcc was removed by this change:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2010-12/msg01334.html , presumably
> as part of "removes some left-overs".

Right, sparc-elf and sparc-rtems were hijacking sol2-ci.asm and sol2-cn.asm, 
which are supposed to be Solaris-specific.  Now the RTEMS folks complained 
about the removal and I accepted to backpedal for sparc-rtems:
  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2011-01/msg00530.html
They never applied the patch, though.

The funny thing is that neither sparc64-elf nor sparc64-rtems build them.
But they are very likely little used targets.

I guess the best solution to clean up the mess at this point is to backpedal 
entirely and build them (again) for sparc*-elf and sparc*-rtems.  I'll do the 
change for the upcoming 4.6.1 release.

> I've CC'ed Eric in case he has anything to add.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

-- 
Eric Botcazou


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]