This is the mail archive of the gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Older version of GCC needed in CentOS 5.1


Car54 <planetwealth@gmail.com> writes:

> I am in the process of installing CentOS 5.1. The gcc that came with it is...
> gcc-4.1.2-14.el5.i386.rpm. My problem is I have software that ran in RHEL-3
> perfect and the version of gcc that was used was... gcc-3.2.3-47.i386.rpm. I
> received errors with the newer version that came with CentOS 5.1.

Newer versions of gcc are more strict with regard to language
standards, particularly when writing in C++.

> I'm quite new to this and I'm unsure what to do. If i need to install the
> gcc-3.2.3-47 version I'm not sure how to do this and if I can have both
> versions on the server?

You can download gcc 3.2 from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/ and build it
yourself.  I don't know if the package from the older version of
CentOS would run on the newer version.  You'd have to ask somebody who
works with CentOS.

You could also consider fixing your code to be more standards
conformant.

Ian


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]