Re: Updating gcc on PPC with Leopard

Am/On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:16:57 -0500 schrieb/wrote Michael Witten:

>On 27 Jan 2008, at 10:11 PM, Matthias Schmidt wrote:
>
>> What has to be done to complete the installation or update of gcc on
>> a Mac?
>
>What exactly were the errors you got with 4.2.2?

Error 1 and Error 2 the rest I can't remember.
But there are some postings on the web about this issue.
4.2.3 compiles without problems.
But I would need some more knowledge, how to set that stuff up correctly
on Leopard and I couldn't find a how to (for dummies ;-)

>I got 4.1.2 built by cross-compiling to Mac OS X 10.4 from 10.5 by
>doing this
>first:
>
>	export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4

actually in this case I need 10.5 only.
The box is a Leopard Server and I need to compile only stuff like
Postfix, ClamAV etc.

For development I use XCode sometimes, mainly 4D - no terminal stuff ;-)
But of course I'd like to know the procedure, so that I could update gcc
with a newer version on my will.

>As for your case, did you replace the Apple binaries with the ones you
>just built?

as far as I can tell it did it by itself, but only partly.
So there are obviously some gotchas, because when I run ./configure for
ClamAV the new compiler is not recognized.

>If not, do you have the new ones on your path? If you're building
>ClamAV from an XCode
>project, is there some built environment variable you can set, like CC?

no I just go to the downloaded source code, run configure with some
options, make and make install.
Nothing special, just the standard procedure.

Thanks and all the best

Matthias