Updating gcc on PPC with Leopard

Hello,

I'm new to the list and seeking immediately some answers - how rude ;-)
So I have installed a Mac OS 10.5.1 system on a G4 (PPC) with XCode 3.0
installed.

I want to compile clamAV and it complains about a bug in gcc.
So I downloaded v 4.2.2 and tried to compile it, and it throws an error.
Then I found some information on the net, that 4.2.3 which is RC, will
compile and in fact it does :-)

So I ran configure, make and make install, but it looks like v4.2.3 is
not used, when I try to compile ClamAV.
Obviously I miss something.

What has to be done to complete the installation or update of gcc on a Mac?

All informations I found in the list archives or on the internet didn't
help much - XCode is installed and there is no update to XCode 3.

Thanks and all the best

Matthias