This is the mail archive of the
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Re: Fixed-point operations
- From: "Tom St Denis" <tstdenis at ellipticsemi dot com>
- To: "Tom St Denis" <tstdenis at ellipticsemi dot com>, "Cristea Bogdan" <cristeab at gmail dot com>
- Cc: <gcc-help at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 09:52:22 -0500
- Subject: Re: Re: Fixed-point operations
- Reply-to: tstdenis at ellipticsemi dot com
On Tue 01/01/08 9:47 AM , "Cristea Bogdan" sent:
> I use an Athlon 64 double core processor under openSuSE 10.2 (gcc
>
> 4.2.2). The trouble is that implementing fixed point operations in C++
>
> seems to be very slow with respect to floating-point operations. I
>
> have hoped to find something faster.
>
> Ideally I would like to have a data type in C++ with all common
>
> operations in order to do some research with chaotic maps.
>
> Bogdan
Which is exactly my point. The K8 Athlon has a fairly fast FPU and you're not likely to beat it in performance when using fixed point, even in assembler.
Tom