This is the mail archive of the
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Fixed-point operations
- From: "Cristea Bogdan" <cristeab at gmail dot com>
- To: "Tom St Denis" <tstdenis at ellipticsemi dot com>
- Cc: gcc-help at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 15:47:46 +0100
- Subject: Re: Fixed-point operations
- References: <e7b7bbdc0712310151s5a138ef7h433c3ea8f6590af2@mail.gmail.com> <4778E121.2050001@ellipticsemi.com>
I use an Athlon 64 double core processor under openSuSE 10.2 (gcc
4.2.2). The trouble is that implementing fixed point operations in C++
seems to be very slow with respect to floating-point operations. I
have hoped to find something faster.
Ideally I would like to have a data type in C++ with all common
operations in order to do some research with chaotic maps.
Bogdan
On 12/31/07, Tom St Denis <tstdenis@ellipticsemi.com> wrote:
> Cristea Bogdan wrote:
> > Is there a library implementing fast fixed-point operations (addition,
> > multiplication, comparisons)? I have used till now a C++ class, but
> > the fixed-point operations are very slow wrt to their floating-point
> > counterparts.
> >
> >
> Slow on what? Most big cpus nowadays have very fast FPUs. On something
> like an ARM without an FPU fixed point should be quite a bit faster....
>
>
>
--
Bogdan Cristea