This is the mail archive of the gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Problem installing gcc-3.3 on a RedHat 9 distribution


Problem installing gcc-3.3 on a RedHat 9 distribution

PC configuration : intel PENTIUM IV - GeForce nvidia 4

1) Just after the installation on the RedHat 9 Linux distribution
I need the g77 which is not installed by default on the system

2) So I started by downloading the gcc-3.3 package from the homepage.

3) I put the package on my hard drive in the directory
/home/hll/gccextract

4) I read the README file, and try to configure

5) I choose (and create) /home/hll/gccrun for the installation directory

6) 'cd /home/hll/gccrun'

7) run the configure script : 'home/hll/gccextract/gcc-3.3/configure'

Then I get the following error message :

Configuring for a i686-pc-linux-gnu host.
Created "Makefile" in /home/hll/gccrun using "mt-frag"
/home/hll/gccextract/gcc-3.3/configure: line 8: cc: command not found
**** The command 'cc -o conftest -g  conftest.c' failed.
**** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

So I've got a regular Makefile I think but I'm, right at the moment, unable to 
find a compiler.
By default the gcc compiler version that comes with RedHat 9 is gcc296 (located 
in /usr/bin).

Can someone help me to configure properly gcc-3.3

Thanks in advance


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]