This is the mail archive of the
gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: target/5505: Doubts about a patch for OSF
- From: Rainer Orth <ro at TechFak dot Uni-Bielefeld dot DE>
- To: Richard dot Kreckel at Uni-Mainz dot DE
- Cc: Rainer Orth <ro at TechFak dot Uni-Bielefeld dot DE>, gcc-bugs at gcc dot gnu dot org, gcc-gnats at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 16:56:37 +0100 (MET)
- Subject: Re: target/5505: Doubts about a patch for OSF
- References: <15448.13857.60829.566554@xayide.TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE><Pine.LNX.4.21.0201302005390.10844-100000@higgs.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Richard B. Kreckel writes:
[Please keep gcc-gnats on the Cc: so the whole thread gets archived in
GNATS as well. Thanks.]
> Hmm, `as' is also from OSFCMPLRS510. But `ld' is more and more becoming a
> suspect: mine are from OSFBASE510 (i.e. no patch) and from
> OSFPAT00007200510 (i.e. an older patch), respectively. Maybe I can get
> hold of OSFPAT00035800510 patch and see if it solves the problems. Not
> sure, though, when this can happen... I'll keep you informed.
Fine. Instead of patching the whole machine, it should be sufficient to
just drop a copy of the patched ld in
$prefix/lib/gcc-lib/alpha-dec-osf5.1/3.0.4/ld.
> > As I said, make and make check both passed with the above snapshot. I can
> > try a fresh bootstrap from current 3.0 branch sources, just to make sure,
> > but this may take some time.
>
> Maybe that would be helpful, just to make sure. As I said: I can revert
> your patch from either GCC 3.0.{1,2,3} and it works. The point being
> other interferences are not very likely...
I've re-bootstrapped GCC 3.0.4 20020129 with no regressions compared to
3.0.2 20010921, and this version still creates a working CLN 1.1.4 which
passes make check. I've even tried to drop the Tru64 UNIX V5.1 ld (before
any patches) into the gcc tree as mentioned above and rebuilt CLN, which
keeps working. This may mean that ld isn't the culprit or the error only
happens when linking libstdc++.
Rainer