This is the mail archive of the fortran@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GNU Fortran project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: --enable-maintainer-mode in libgfortran


>>>>> "FX" == FX Coudert <fxcoudert@gmail.com> writes:

>> Makefile:1404: .deps/transpose_c4.Plo: No such file or directory
>> Makefile:1405: .deps/transpose_c8.Plo: No such file or directory
>> Makefile:1406: .deps/transpose_generic.Plo: No such file or directory

FX> We might want to ask Tom Tromey, who added the dependecies, and I'm
FX> not sure he reads the fortran list. Tom, any ideas on this problem?

It sounds like the problem has been fixed but I thought I'd provide a
little background, just in case.

These are the dependency files which are included by the Makefile.  We
don't use '-include' (I forget why, but I'm sure there's a reason) so
the files must exist before make is run.

So, we create empty dependency files in configure.  Specifically, see
_AM_OUTPUT_DEPENDENCY_COMMANDS in aclocal.m4... this uses sed and some
inside knowledge of automake (this is ok since this macro is part of
automake's implementation) to discover the needed file names.

Problems like the above happen when these files don't exist for some
reason.  E.g., if you 'rm -rf .deps', you will see this.

In this case I'm not sure of the exact cause.  I would think that a
plain 'make' should have re-run configure and then config.status and
thus created the files.

This can usually be fixed very simply:

    cd <failing build dir>
    ./config.status --recheck
    ./config.status

Tom


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]