This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
The gcc-in-cxx branch now completes bootstrap
- From: Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>
- To: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 18:44:49 -0800
- Subject: The gcc-in-cxx branch now completes bootstrap
I'm happy to report that the gcc-in-cxx branch can now bootstrap. That
is, the code in gcc proper can now be compiled with a C++ compiler.
My plan going forward is as follows (when we are back in stage 1):
* For each difference between trunk and gcc-in-cxx:
+ Try to implement a -Wc++-compat warning which detects the change.
- If it is possible, implement the warning, and make the changes to
let gcc bootstrap with the warning.
- If a warning is not possible for some reason, I will simply
propose the change by itself. I expect this will be a small
subset of the changes, mostly related to the build system and to
low-level configuration like ansidecl.h.
+ This process will eventually eliminate all differences between trunk
and gcc-in-cxx, at which point gcc-in-cxx can be retired.
* Implement a configure option, --enable-c++-build or something like
that, which builds gcc with a C++ compiler.
+ Start running regular builds with that option, to avoid any
regressions in C++ buildability for cases for which there is no
* Begin the lobbying process for changing the default value of the
I certainly welcome help on any of these steps.