Re: RFH: GPLv3

Serge Belyshev wrote:

Personally, I think that bumping version number is the worst possible solution
of all proposed.

To me it seems essential to change the version number when changing the license. Technical compiler folk may not regard the license change as a significant one, but for the user base it is. Many companies using gcc will not be able to move forward to gpl3 based software without their attorneys approving the change, a process that can be time consuming.

For such companies, having a very clear notion of what is gpl2 and
what is gpl3 may be critical.