This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: RFH: GPLv3
- From: Michael Eager <eager at eagercon dot com>
- To: Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: GCC <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 09:01:43 -0700
- Subject: Re: RFH: GPLv3
- References: <4695B50B.firstname.lastname@example.org>
Mark Mitchell wrote:
The GCC SC is still discussing a few of the finer points of the
transition to GPLv3.
3. After GCC 4.2.1 is released, we will renumber the branch to GCC 4.3.
What would have been GCC 4.2.2 will instead be GCC 4.3.3, to try to
emphasize the GPLv3 switch. The GCC mainline will then be GCC 4.4.
This seems to confabulate the meaning of version numbers to
now mean something about licensing. The difference between
4.2.1 and 4.2.2 would normally be considered a minor bug fix
release, under this scheme of calling it 4.3.3, one would be
misled to think that this is a minor bug fix for a non-existent
The version numbering scheme correlating to functional changes
is more valuable than any (IMO insubstantial) benefit of
identifying the change in license version.
Michael Eager email@example.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306 650-325-8077