Re: MyGCC and whole program static analysis

Daniel Berlin wrote:
> >As some few people might already know, the GGCC (globalgcc) project is
> >just starting (partly funded within the ITEA framework by french,
> >spanish, swedish public money) - its kick off meeting is next week in
> >Paris.
> >
> >GGCC aims to provide a (GPL opensource) extension to GCC for program
> >wide static analysis (& optimisations) and coding rules
> >validation. But this mail is not a formal announcement of it...
> >
> >I am also extremely interested in the LTO framework, in particular
> >their persistence of GIMPLE trees. Could LTO people explain (if
> >possible) if their framework is extensible (to some new Gimple nodes)
> >and usable in some other setting (for example, storing program wide
> >static analysis partial results, perhaps in a "project" related
> >database or file).
>
> This is one of the goals of LTO.
>
> To steer this thread onto another topic, if you ever plan on getting
> your "globalgcc" changes back into gcc proper, I highly suggest you do
> your design and implementation discussions on gcc's mailing lists, and
> coordinate with GCC people who work in those areas.  GCC itself is
> gearing up to start doing program wide analysis and optimization, and
> I guarantee you that if you guys go off and do it on your own in
> seclusion you will
> 1. duplicate work
> 2. make it incredibly hard to get your work back into gcc.
>
> Of course, if getting work into gcc is not a goal of globalgcc, than
> by all means, ...

The aim of globalgcc is to contribute all the new code to GCC.

I think I'm also supposed to work on this project, as Albert Cohen is
one of those who wrote a part of the proposal.  However I still have
not received any news on this project, except for the proposal that I
reviewed long time ago.

Sebastian