Re: flag day for Solaris portions of config.{guess,sub}

Rainer Orth <ro@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE> writes:

> A continued burden which removes clarity from those scripts,

Using -sunos5* would not remove clarity from scripts, as it's just as
clear as -solaris2*.  And it would not be a continued burden, as it's
just a one-time conversion for a relatively small number of packages.

> in exchange for a little less newby confusion

It is a tradeoff between maintainer convenience and newbie convenience.
The easiest thing for maintainers is to do nothing, and continue to
confuse novices in this minor way.  (After all, we've invented our own
nonstandard jargon that works for us, and if it confuses novices then
that's their problem.  :-)