Re: flag day for Solaris portions of config.{guess,sub}

Rainer Orth <ro@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE> writes:

> Either keeping the status quo (solaris2.x) or switching to sunos5.x
> protects you from this marketing nonesense.

It'd be OK with me to switch to sunos5.x, if that's the consensus.

> > It's to avoid unnecessary minor barriers to the use of GNU software on
> > Solaris hosts.
>
> As indicated by what?  I've never seen such a complaint before

I was confused myself when the wrong naming convention was originally
introduced.  I recall seeing other instances of confusion on several
occasions.  It's hard to do a google search to find instances of this
(and I suspect most newbies who get confused figure it out eventually,
and don't send email about it), but I just did a quick google search
and found the following messages indicating some degree of confusion,
or a need to explain it, or whatever.  This is the best I can do with
a quick search, but I think the problem is a continuing one for
Solaris and/or GNU novices.

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-make/2001-08/msg00023.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-bugs-list/2002-February/009878.html
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=yecwv93tve5.fsf%40king.cts.com
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=39F5B44B.59267146%40webcom.com
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=200010041042.DAA65166%40king.cts.com

> I've just checked am-utils, ntp, and pidentd, and all of them are
> affected.

No doubt other programs will be affected too.  But these programs are
a relative handful.