Re: Suggestions for improving gcc 3.2 compilation speed?

I have a small idea, once upon a time people were using kilo lines per second as a measurement of compiler speed, and on a 68030 you could hit well above 10klps optimized code.

Perhaps we could report this metric ? I know it has a lot of fallancies when it compares to comparing different sources, however it's a metric which is easy to interpret for a specific program ( being compiled ), and a high relevance for the end user.

Also it would point out relative slowdowns if used on a gcc+libs build and then one could target problem areas to increase build speed in two way's, one inprove handling of that code, two rewrite to circumvent.

Any thought's ?

/ Lars.

Biagio Lucini wrote:
Could you give me an example of a fast compiler? My only term of
comparison is the Intel one, and with it it takes ages to compile the most
trivial program.

Biagio