Re: Status of new ia32 backend?

Jeffrey A Law wrote:

> ?!?  The status of the new ia32backend is on the home page for the project.
>
> Quoting from that page:
>
> September 2, 1999
>   Richard Henderson has finished merging the ia32 backend rewrite into the
>   mainline GCC sources. The rewrite is designed to improve optimization
>   opportunities for the Pentium II target, but also provides a cleaner way
>   to optimize for the Pentium III, AMD-K7 and other high end ia32 targets
>   as they appear.
>
> jeff

Yes, I read this page, but from September 2 new ia32 backend lays in
separate CVS branch, and I see no activity there. Does it means this
branch has been put on hold until some date or event?

There are no words on how well the backend has been tested, and there is
no call to public to test it extensively.

Also I did not find information when new_ia32_branch will been merged
with mainline branch. This turns out a question: are there any plans to
release GCC with new ia32backend as a public release?

Again, I repeat the question:
if I want to play with new backend, what sources should I take:
 - just new_ia32_branch?
 - merge it with latest mainline branch, and resolve conflicts by myself?
 - wait until some date?

Thanks,

Yuri