Question about developing for std::filesystem

Jonathan Wakely jwakely@redhat.com
Fri Jul 18 19:54:41 GMT 2025


On Fri, 18 Jul 2025 at 19:22, Adam Wood <adam.wood@mines.sdsmt.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
> I am currently working on a patch to add symlink support on Windows. I

Nice, thanks!

> am currently only changing files in the c++17 folder (with the
> exception of ops_common.h in filesystem folder). I have three
> questions:
> 1. Should I make the same changes to the equivalent files in the
> filesystem folder as well?

No, that's the implementation of the Filesystem TS and it barely
supports Windows at all. Let it rest in peace.

> 2. Are the std::filesystem tests using the standard c++17 filesystem
> library or the gnu one?

I'm not sure what you mean here, sorry.

> 3. What is the difference between "execution test" and "(test for
> excess errors)" in the testsuite?

When a test has the action { dg-do run } that means it needs to be
successfully compiled (with no unexpected warnings or errors, i.e. no
"excess errors") and then successfully run.

The test for excess errors is compiling it and checking there are no
warnings or errors.
The execution test is executing it.

When a test has { dg-do compile } or { dg-do link } then it will not
be executed, so you won't see the "execution test" step.



More information about the Libstdc++ mailing list