Possible to reduce or disable locales?

Stephen Casner casner@acm.org
Sat Jun 20 06:31:59 GMT 2020

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020, Jonathan Wakely wrote:

> You can reduce those with --disable-wchar_t
> --disable-libstdcxx-dual-abi but not get rid of locale-handling code
> completely.

Thank you for the prompt and helpful reply.  Disabling those features
reduced the size of all but two of the files:

15140   ./libstdc++-v3/src/c++11/locale-inst.o
152ac   ./msoft-float/libstdc++-v3/src/c++11/locale-inst.o

Those two remained the same size as before because, I assume based on
the filenames, they don't involve wchar_t or the dual ABI.

Is it possible to build only c++98 and not c++11 or c++17?  That is,
other than going back to a really old gcc.  I looked through the
options listed by configure --help and didn't see such an option.

                                                        -- Steve