GCC GSoC 2020: Call for mentors and project ideas

Nathan Sidwell nathan@acm.org
Thu Jan 16 14:28:00 GMT 2020

On 1/15/20 5:45 PM, Martin Jambor wrote:

> Therefore, first and foremost, I would like to ask all (moderately)
> seasoned GCC contributors to consider mentoring a student this year and
> ideally also come up with a project that they would like to lead.  I'm
> collecting proposal on our wiki page
> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode - feel free to add yours to the
> top list there.  Or, if you are unsure, post your offer and project idea
> as a reply here to the mailing list.

I have an idea for a GNU-Make project.

* Separate Make's job-control from the dependency walking.  Right now,
theses are somewhat tangled up, due to history.  It would be nice to
separate these into distinct components.  One wrinkle may be that
single-threaded invocation might need to preserve the
(implementation-defined) order of dependent rule execution, as makefiles
that do not completely specify dependencies might be relying on that.

I ran into this problem with my hack to add a module-server into make,
and hacked around it in an ugly fashion.

(I've not run this by the GNU-Make maintainers)

nathan

--
Nathan Sidwell