Relocation (= move+destroy)

Marc Glisse marc.glisse@inria.fr
Sat Oct 13 17:33:00 GMT 2018


On Sat, 13 Oct 2018, Ville Voutilainen wrote:

> (Removed gcc-patches, this is lib-only rumination). I drove 
> noexcept(auto) for a while. I dropped it because the rationale for it 
> was insufficient considering the concerns against it. I have entertained 
> the idea of working on it on the compiler side, but I don't think 
> there's a reason to raise the priority of such adventures, considering 
> the apparently more important things to do. The evidence of the 
> importance of a noexcept(auto) is still lacking in my view, even if 
> there's an occasional library bug.

To me the most obvious argument is that Jonathan + you + me + etc (please 
don't feel left out if I didn't mention you) have already spent more time 
getting noexcept specifications right (while making the code harder to 
read) than it would take someone familiar with the front-end to implement 
noexcept(auto). It is also deterring us from adding noexcept in places 
where it could be useful but we can't be bothered.

Note that I am not blaming anyone here, I didn't implement it either. I 
looked at some point but couldn't find the time to do it, nowadays I can 
barely find enough time to contribute a minor patch once in a while in 
areas I am already familiar with.

-- 
Marc Glisse



More information about the Libstdc++ mailing list