Varying filesize of libstdc++.so.6.0.19

Mohan Ganesalingam mohan0@gmail.com
Thu May 24 20:59:00 GMT 2018

Thanks very much for the quick reply!

We think we have figured out some things about portability (of a library
that links with libstdc++  *and no other libraries*) by testing – could I
ask and see if they are reliably true?

1. If the library dynamically links with, say, libstdc++.so.6.0.19, then it
can be compiled on one distro/version and used on another so long as
libstdc++.so.6.0.19 or newer (and the requisite glibc) is present.

2. A compiled libstdc++.so.6.0.19 from one distro/version can be used on
another distro/version. This means that if the library is statically linked
against libstdc++ 6.0.19 on one distro/version, it will again work on
other distro/versions
as long as the right glibc is present.

These seem to hold across (some version of) CentOS, Ubuntu, Fedora.

NB. The library doesn't do anything that would explicitly make it OS
-dependent – so it doesn't try to open system files, call 'system', access
specific devices, etc..

Is there a table somewhere that lists what minimum version of libc is
required for each version of libstdc++?  (Similar to the tables in
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/abi.html )

Thanks and best wishes,
Mohan