Smart pointer pretty printers

Jonathan Wakely jwakely@redhat.com
Mon Mar 27 15:16:00 GMT 2017

On 02/03/17 19:10 +0100, Juraj Oršulić wrote:
>On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 5:36 PM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely@redhat.com> wrote:
>> For a patch this size we do, so I'm not going to look at your patch.
>> It will probably be simpler to just do it myself, and not worry about
>> paperwork.
>>
>> If you want to contribue in future then please do complete the
>> necessary paperwork anyway:
>> https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/appendix_contributing.html#contrib.list
>
>Hi Jonathan,
>
>I have completed the assignment.
>
>I am resubmitting the patch from the last time, this time as an
>attachment (since the previous was broken by newlines). As before,
>there are two versions of the patch: the one that I obtained by editing
>printers.py on Ubuntu 16.04, which ships with gcc 5.4.0; and the
>other, for the current printers.py from the gcc repo (I assume it's gcc
>6?), which needs a slightly different patch because the unique_ptr
>printer has significantly changed.
>
>I have been using the gcc 5 patch without problems.  I have not tested
>the gcc 6 patch, but since it is very similar, I don't expect any
>problems.

So I assume you haven't tried with gcc 7 either :-)

I think we're probably too close to the gcc7 release to make this
change now, sorry. If we make this change early in Stage 1 for gcc8
(which should mean committing it in 6-7 weeks) then there will be time
for IDEs or other tools to identify and resolve any problems or
integration niggles that this causes.

And if it works fine on the subversion trunk and nobody finds issues
then we can probably backport it to gcc 7 and maybe gcc 6 too.