Passing 0 for number of bytes to be scanned in memchr

Jonathan Wakely jwakely@redhat.com
Thu Feb 16 12:13:00 GMT 2017

On 16/02/17 11:38 +0000, Aditya K wrote:
>Hi Jonathan,
>
>I see that in char_traits<char>::find, we check if the number of bytes to be scanned is zero. I think memchr handles that case already but I do not have
>
>any reference to point out to. The documentation does not explicitly mention what happens when 'n' is zero. If n==0 is already handled then
>
>we can safely remove this check. Please let me know your thoughts.
>

>269       static const char_type*
>270       find(const char_type* __s, size_t __n, const char_type& __a)
>271       {
>272         if (__n == 0)
>273           return 0;
>274         return static_cast<const char_type*>(__builtin_memchr(__s, __a, __n));
>275       }

If __s is a null pointer then passing it to memchr is undefined.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think basic_string::find has the same
restriction, so we need to handle the case where it's null and avoid
calling memchr.