Enable own pthread implementation

Hiesgen, Raphael Raphael.Hiesgen@haw-hamburg.de
Tue May 20 16:44:00 GMT 2014

Hello,

we are currently working on a custom pthread implementation. However we ran into a problem using it in conjunction with std::thread.

Using gcc 4.7.3 this worked fine. When switching to  a version >= 4.8.0 out implementation was no longer accepted and resulted in the "Enable multithreading to use std::thread: Operation not permitted” exception. As a temporary fix I compiled my own gcc 4.8.2 version and removed the ‘__gthread_active_p’ test in the function thread::_M_start_thread. This circumvents the problem, but is no solution.

Our test system is a 32bit Ubuntu 14.04 VM and the stock gcc 4.8.2 and compiled without additional flags.

Is this behavior expected? Are we missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
Raphael Hiesgen