Regex instantiation

Paolo Carlini paolo.carlini@oracle.com
Thu Jan 9 17:09:00 GMT 2014

Hi,

> On 09/gen/2014, at 17:32, Tim Shen <timshen91@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 5:13 AM, Paolo Carlini <paolo.carlini@oracle.com> wrote:
>> We could maybe compute the length and dispatch to two different strategies?
>
> The length is at run-time, while the dispatch must be done at compile-time.

In any case, I don't think thousands of chars is a typical size. If everything is optimized performance-wise for, say, less than 100 chars, and gracefully degradates for bigger strings, I would think we are fine. But this kind of reasoning should be quantified, eg for 1000 things should not be much worse than now; see which sizes can be found in publically available testsuites.

> How can I calculate the binary file size cost of basic_string inst?

Build two .so, with and without and subtract the sizes? But maybe I don't get your question.

Paolo