[patch] No allocation for empty unordered containers

Paolo Carlini paolo.carlini@oracle.com
Tue Aug 5 20:23:00 GMT 2014

Hi,

On 08/05/2014 10:10 PM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> It doesn't have to be noexcept, but IMHO there is no point changing
> the containers to avoid allocation unless that allows us to mark it
> noexcept.  If it can throw anyway, we might as well allocate the
> initial buckets.
I have been following this discussion on and off. In general, I must say
that AFAIK a default constructor which doesn't allocate memory is
normally considered superior from the QoI point of view, even if isn't
noexcept. As probably I have already mentioned, a "well known" C++
library implementer used to repeat it all the time and used also to say
that our std::list implementation was very good exactly because of that
feature, *well* before the invention of noexcept. That said, marking the
constructor noexcept is of course the obvious next step, I don't have
much to say about the general development plans we have got here.