Incompatible C++98 and C++11 assembler code

Paolo Carlini paolo.carlini@oracle.com
Fri Sep 21 09:17:00 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 09/21/2012 09:33 AM, Nicolas Roeser wrote:
> Or are we missing something here?
In my opinion the fundamental problem is that C++98 and C++11 are
fundamentally incompatible in this area. In principle - more than 2
years ago - we (I didn't do the work, for the record) could have decided
not to implement and experiment with those C++11 bits and delay to the
next global breakage of the ABI. Now, with so many releases out
including the C++11 feature and a growing community using -std=c++11 all
the time (some people even want it as *default* now that the Standard is
released), I don't think just scrapping everything and going back is an
option. Personally, I would simply vote against. Thus what we need is a
front-end mechanism supporting the coexistence. This is a well known
issue and front-end people are already working on it.