RFC - Remove support for PCH post 4.8

Chris Lattner clattner@apple.com
Wed Nov 28 07:07:00 GMT 2012

On Nov 27, 2012, at 11:05 PM, Xinliang David Li <davidxl@google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 10:40 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner@apple.com> wrote:

>>> Do you have a pointer to the modules proposal clang will implement?
>>
>> Most of it is implemented in mainline Clang already.
>
> For Object-C or C++?

C and Objective-C are nearly complete, C++ support is still in progress.

>> Here is a recent talk describing it:
>> http://llvm.org/devmtg/2012-11/Gregor-Modules.pdf
>>

> It is likely that the module file format will be standardized in the
> future, so it is better for different communities to start move in the
> same direction. Is the module format adopted by Clang documented
> anywhere?

No, the design does not require a binary compatible file format.  Header files and module maps remain "the truth".  Any binary file format produced by a compiler as a side effect of building is an implementation detail of that compiler.

-Chris