[Mingw-w64-public] Thoughts on supporting the C++11 thread library on Windows

Earnie Boyd earnie@users.sourceforge.net
Wed May 9 16:28:00 GMT 2012


On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:58 AM, K. Frank <kfrank29.c@gmail.com> wrote:
> Again, I'm not all that big on backward compatibility, and, as noted
> above, I don't understand what  --enable-threads=win32 is for.  But
> my gut reaction is if that the gcc implementation (with
>  --enable-threads=win32) is sub-optimal, maybe it makes sense to
> do it "right," even at the cost of backward compatibility.

If you enable something new how does it affect backward compatibility?
 Perhaps with-in the coding itself, in that case the coding would need
some method to know when it was different.  If it is a run time or
library compatibility issue my suggestion to all users using a new
version of a compiler is to always rebuild the library with that
compiler.  It rarely gets done but it is the users detriment if they
do not and then have issues; i.e. not a problem I worry about.

-- 
Earnie
-- https://sites.google.com/site/earnieboyd



More information about the Libstdc++ mailing list