gets with C++ and GCC before 4.7

Joseph S. Myers joseph@codesourcery.com
Sat Mar 10 06:18:00 GMT 2012

On Sat, 10 Mar 2012, Jonathan Wakely wrote:

> I would love it if there was something like a _GLIBCXX_SOURCE macro
> that gave us the glibc extensions we rely on, so G++ didn't need to

Ideally you wouldn't have those extensions as-is, since they're still in
the user's namespace.  Instead you'd get the extensions in the
implementation namespace so the user could define their own macros,
objects, functions by names that are not reserved in ISO C++, without
regard to whether glibc functions, types etc. using those names are used
in libstdc++.  But that's even harder than having a feature test macro for
the particular features libstdc++ wants (under their existing names).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com