[v3] libstdc++/54296

François Dumont frs.dumont@gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 09:00:00 GMT 2012


On 08/30/2012 12:00 AM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 29/08/2012, Paolo Carlini wrote:
>>>      You and others regularly ask to run tests with Valgrind. Is there an
>> easy way to run tests of the testsuite through Valgrind ? Some variable to
>> customize when invoking 'make check' ? I don't want to do a 'make install'
>> when building the trunk and 'make check' correctly build and run tests
>> using the trunk build. This is why I prefer to work entirely in the
>> libstdc++ testsuite context.
>>
>> Well, I don't understand why you don't want, what's wrong with that?
> Indeed, I always want to have a recent trunk build installed to use,
> and not only to be able to use the latest C++11 features. How else do
> you check if a bug still exists on trunk?!
>
I simply don't want to pollute my system with experimental builds. I 
have a gcc folder containing the image of gcc trunk and next to it a 
gcc-build folder where the build takes place. I simply don't want to see 
any result of the build to go outside this gcc-build folder so that I am 
sure of what is used to build and run tests when I want to test 
different gcc branches. But maybe I am too conservative or I could 
install it under a specific path that would never interfere with my system.

To be honest I haven't try hard to make it work so far. For the problems 
I had to fix I have always been able to write a test case reproducing 
the issue and then fix it, like in this case. Sometimes, when I miss 
usage of gdb, I replaced it with instrumentation of the code, adding 
some std::cout within the containers implementation. It sounds old 
fashion but is still quite useful.

So, does it mean that you want a Valgrind validation before I commit fix 
for PR 54296 despite the test cases ? If so it won"t be for this week, 
surely next one.

François



More information about the Libstdc++ mailing list