branch creation

François Dumont francois.cppdevs@free.fr
Mon Jan 17 20:43:00 GMT 2011

On 01/16/2011 12:18 PM, Paolo Carlini wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> Hello
>>
>>     I had plan to call it something like libstdcxx_debug-branch targetting several debug mode modifications. But if you want to use it for any kind of ABI modifications I see an already existing branch with a rather good name: libstdcxx_so_7-branch. It is documented as not maintained anymore, could we recycle it for this purpose ?
>>
> Sure we can, the only problem I can see is that few things in it, breaking the ABI for good, may be worth preserving in its new incarnation. The branch-specific ChangeLog should help about that. And probably you will also find something in<algorithm>  which we do not want to pursue, at the moment at least, that is the collapse of the algorithms coming in pairs, taking and not taking a predicate, because it's too tricky wrt proxy iterators. Are you willing to disentangle those issues? As far as<algorithm>  is concerned, probably you can just replace everything with the mainline version, as a start.

I was actually wondering why almost all algos were duplicated, I will
take a look to this branch to discover why then.
> I don't know, maybe it's easier to just create a so_7-2, document that the old one is frozen, and in a more relaxed way forward port the interesting bits of the old branch to the new one.

If you want to keep things in this branch then I agree,
libstdcxx_so_7-2-branch will be just fine. I have started to reproduce
the patch I have submitted some weeks ago. Once done I will start the
branch with that.

Regards