Solaris GCC maintainer question...

tscheresky@micron.com tscheresky@micron.com
Tue Sep 29 19:57:00 GMT 2009

I'm very interested in your results.  Also, which version would you be
trying to patch?  Version 4.4.1, or the current development branch?

Thanks...

Todd

Speech recognition in use.  It makes mistakes.  I correct the ones I
notice...

-----Original Message-----
From: Rainer Orth [mailto:ro@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de]
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 12:11 PM
To: tscheresky
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org; libstdc++@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Solaris GCC maintainer question...

tscheresky@micron.com writes:

> I posted the following question about GCC and Solaris locale support
> both gcc-help and libstdc++:
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2009-09/msg00212.html
>
> It was recommended I try darwin, or ieee_1003.1-2001 for
> --enable-clocale when building GCC.  None of these suggestions worked.
> See here for details:
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2009-09/msg00238.html
>
> But what I would really like to know, from the Solaris GCC maintainer,
> is it a fact that the locale model for libstdc++ is 'generic', for all
> versions of GCC from 3.4.x to 4.4.1, on Solaris 8 or newer, and there
> will be no support for locales other than C, and POSIX?  If so, what's
> the likelihood that this will change in the future?

Ian Taylor already filed PR libstdc++/41495 for the fact that
--enable-clocale=ieee_1003.1-2001 doesn't build.  I'll try the trivial
patch for this (defining _GLIBCXX_NUM_CATEGORIES as 0) and see how far
this
gets me.  If this produces strictly better results than generic, we can
change the libstdc++-v3 default for Solaris (maybe depending on the
Solaris
version if it doesn't work everywhere).

	Rainer