std::codecvt::out() returns a no-op in marginal situations

Paolo Carlini pcarlini@suse.de
Mon Jan 21 17:21:00 GMT 2008

Martin Sebor wrote:
> Paolo, FYI, library issue deals with (some of) these details:
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/lwg-active.html#382
>
> Howard, Bill, and I discussed how to fix it a couple of years
> ago but we couldn't agree on an optimal solution. IIRC, Bill
> wanted to make sure whatever text was added would accommodate
> using UTF-16 as an internal encoding which seemed to complicate
> things (AFAIK, no implementation other than Bill's makes it
> possible). It would be nice if we could find the time to revisit
> the issue before the end of the year to see if can nail it down
> this time.
Thanks for your feedback Martin. In fact, in our code DR 382 is
mentioned a couple of times, but I did not do that work and never looked
into it later... I agree it would be nice to work together on improving
those facilities, maybe at one of the next meetings.