Recent libstdc++ regression on i686-linux: abi/cxx_runtime_only_linkage.cc

Mark Mitchell mark@codesourcery.com
Wed Aug 27 08:25:00 GMT 2008

Richard Henderson wrote:
> H.J. Lu wrote:
>> Can we declare that Linux/ia32 generates i486 insn by default?
>
> We the gcc team?  I'm not sure.  For now I'll say no.
>
> We an individual linux distributor?  Certainly.
> In fact I would be surprised if i586 wasn't a
> decent minimum these days.

I agree.  We the GCC team have to accept that some CPUs may not have the
ability to do this.  That might be old x86 CPUs; it might also be
brand-new embedded CPUs.

Obviously, distributors can do whatever they please, but the C++
run-time library needs to tolerate CPUs without this feature.  It can of
course offer reduced functionality (at compile-time or at run-time) on
CPUs without the necessary support.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery