[RFC] Do we care about binary compatibility of code produced by cross-compilers?

Paolo Carlini paolo.carlini@oracle.com
Mon Aug 11 19:41:00 GMT 2008

Hi Ian,

> A simple rule of thumb: a libstdc++ built using a cross-compiler
> to i686-pc-linux-gnu should be binary compatible with a libstdc++
> built by a native i686-pc-linux-gnu.

Thanks for the note. I see your point, makes perfect sense, in general, but I'm afraid we are very far from it... We should really give these issues more thought.

Note, anyway, that, essentially, you didn't explicitly answer my question ;) I mean, if we want to align (more) the library and the objects built by a cross compiler to those built by a native compiler (e.g., unconditionally running the AC_TRY_COMPILE checks for int64_t would help), in general we may break the binary compatibility between the current objects and the new ones (e.g., streamoff can be a different type), for the cross-compiler. Is that something we can tolerate?