[patch] Improving shared_ptr for C++0x

Benjamin Kosnik bkoz@redhat.com
Mon Dec 10 18:32:00 GMT 2007

> I haven't done so, but we should really duplicate some of the
> shared_ptr testsuite to test in both TR1 and C++0x mode because the
> implementations are now different in parts.  As a quick hack I
> duplicated all the relevant tests and changed them to use
> std::shared_ptr instead of tr1::shared_ptr, so I can confirm that both
> implementations pass all the tests, but you can't tell that just from
> the tests in subversion.  We should decide the best way to do this
> without too much duplication.

Yes.

You should be testing std::shared_ptr in 20_util/shared_ptr, not
in the testsuite/tr1/ directories. (The type_traits bits are
tested this way too.) Please fix that up pre-checkin.

The duplication is unfortunate but given the divergence, necessary IMHO.

Thanks for adding the docs! A direct link to (duplicated in your CL
entry) shared_ptr.html should be added in documentation.html, say in
"General Utilities/Memory." In-line with auto_ptr.

best,
-benjamin