[RFC] Removal of allocator::construct / destroy vs our containers

Paolo Carlini pcarlini@suse.de
Thu Apr 26 22:26:00 GMT 2007

Hi,

in Oxford the removal of those allocator members has been decided.
Immediately, people figured out that, for compatibility with existin
user code a good path would be not actually removing the members from
the  delivered allocators, but stop as soon as possible calling those
member functions from the containers (in fact, the *current* standard,
nowhere mandates that those members must be called): certainly, in the
case of v3, that would mean a nice semplification of stl_construct.h,
stl_uninitialized.h and many container headers. It would also mean,
unless i'm badly confused, not risking at all passing around by value
allocators only because allocator::construct and destroy are
non-constant members.

Can you imagine problems with such a plan? Do we have principled reasons
to delay it to when a full C++0x implementation of the library will be
delivered?

Thanks,