c++0x vs. tr1 type_traits, round 1

Benjamin Kosnik bkoz@redhat.com
Thu Apr 26 10:03:00 GMT 2007

> I'd like to help much more, but I'm in the middle of the
> __is_convertible_to work + yesterday finally committed the last tweaks
> to __has_nothrow_assign and right now I'm finally changing
> tr1/type_traits to exploit it and the other already available front-end
> traits...

Cool.

So, the testing issue is biting you too. What to do? Are you testing
both versions of the traits? I think this is probably the better way to
go, but more work.

> Anyway, I think we are on the same page, generally: those changes are
> not minor and we have to figure out a strategy scaling well also to
> cases of vastly different facilities (like random, even if, as discussed
> privately, we can use the same underlying algorithms in both cases, but
> that is another matter). About the details, at the moment I lack a
> sufficiently accurate picture, I'd like to hear Doug again, while I find
> the time to deepen my own understanding...

Hmm. OK.

Since we're both working on this, how should we stage this work?

Should I check what I have in, and then proceed immediately to the
testsuite revamp? Once that is done I can add testcases for the new
traits. I would like to work on parallel stuff if possible.

-benjamin