C++ PATCH: PR 20599 (1/3)

Paolo Carlini pcarlini@suse.de
Fri Sep 15 08:35:00 GMT 2006

Doug Gregor wrote:
> I do not have the complete variadic templates implementation to
> compare against, but it should be faster than the 3-argument version
> (under 1 second).
Thanks Doug, impressive. In my opinion, everything considered - in
particular the fact that variadic templates do *not* introduce any new
keyword - it would be great if we could apply your patch (and the
corresponding library changes, of course) as soon as possible, early
Stage 1 of the next release cycle, I think.

At the same time, I (still) believe we badly need a global strategy for
the C++0x features, for those features adding keywords,
incompatibilities, and all the others: as noticed by Richard G in
private conversation, probably the transition could be managed similarly
to that to C99, only I'm not sure about the current time frame, when
only a draft of C++0x exists and, I would say, many of the most
anticipated features are not there yet. What about adding something
about that process in the wiki section about gcc4.3 (by the way, I
noticed that variadic templates are already there, good)??

Thanks again,