tellg modifying the state of an input file stream

Paolo Carlini pcarlini@suse.de
Mon May 22 15:56:00 GMT 2006

Ivan Kolev wrote:

> First, where's MinGW on that picture? Second, if the picture's right
> and my simple test case works correctly with MSVCRT (in the FILE*
> case, both with MinGW/GCC 3.4.5 and VC2005) and Dinkumware (in the
> streams case on VC2005), then doesn't this lead again to libstdc++ ?

Ivan---

Why are you having so much trouble with this issue? It's all pretty
clear, as far as C++ is concerned, at least: you can either implement a
MingW-specific layer of the C++ library interfacing with the ""broken""
MSVCRT, as pointed out by Danny Smith; or, alternately, go the CygWin
route and provide a ""sane"" C library to go with a standard C++ library.

In both cases, the issue doesn't belong anymore to this list, unless
someone is willing to post the MingW bits along the lines pointed out by
Danny. Ok?