libtool insistence upon -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions in libsupc++?

Ned Konz ned@bike-nomad.com
Tue May 2 21:18:00 GMT 2006

On May 2, 2006, at 10:18 AM, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

> However, if these sources are removed:
>
> libsupc++/eh_exception.cc
> libsupc++/tinfo2.cc
> src/debug.cc
> src/debug_list.cc
>
> you'll be able to compile libstdc++ successfully.
>
> My recomendation is to just remove those files for your build and
> proceed.

OK, will do that. And, I assume, I should set the -fno-exceptions
flag as well.

>> However, when the compilation gets to libsupc++,
>> I have problems with libtool insisting upon using "-fno-rtti -fno-
>> exceptions" to compile code that uses "typeid", which then fails the
>> compilation.
>>
>> I did not ask for "-fno-rtti -fno-exceptions".
>
> I don't know what this problem is.

It appears to be that libtool has decided to use these flags to avoid
all builtins, and that's what's being used to compile these modules.
After all, we're compiling the builtins here, and so we wouldn't want
any builtins to be generated.

The problem is that the program snippet it's using to test whether it
can use these flags doesn't use 'typeid' and so succeeds.

--
Ned Konz
ned@bike-nomad.com